CHAPTER 69

CHAPTER 69

NICOLLE’S POV

As I sat beneath a big tree just outside the building of my condo unit, I closed my hands then opened them. Along with the movement I was making, I recited all the names that I still remembered, never minding the names I forgot. Then I started raising my arms up and down as I counted one to ten then eleven to twenty and so on… and somehow I was stuck in 58.

To others, I looked like I was stretching. Still, others may think of me as someone who’s gone bonkers. I only smiled at the thought.

Being crazy was really a lot better than my condition right now.

I stopped stretching and counting.

I looked up and breathed as much morning air as I could.

Only an hour ago, Vincent, my brother, showed me all those videos that I have been recording since I knew that I had this Alzheimer’s disease and multiple sclerosis. The latest was a video Blake and I recorded.

Blake was my boyfriend. He was handsome, he looked like a model, and he had this perfect body.

And though he looked oh-so-gorgeous in a demonic, seductive way, it didn’t do good to make him last in my memories for more than twenty four hours.

As seen on the videos, there was a lot of drama in my life. Especially that night in Blake’s house when I confronted all of them. Yes, Andrew, my friend, was secretly recording all that happened. I said in one of the videos that he was the one responsible in talking some sense into me and maybe listen to what my family had to say.

A lady passed by me holding a red flower which I couldn’t name.

I came into realization that today was February 14, Valentine’s day. I felt that it was not only Valentine ’s Day. There was something more in February 14. What it was, I had no idea.

Suddenly, someone sat beside me. I turned my head to look only to see Vincent handing me a bottle of water.

“Have you taken your meds?” he asked.

I took the bottle and nodded as I twisted the cap.

“And Blake still ain’t here to pick you up?”

I said something. In my mind, I was trying to say that no, Blake still wasn’t here, but the words that came out of my mouth were indistinct and slurred.

It was another one of the effects of my condition. Slurred speech.

Frustrated, I drank my water but found it hard to swallow. It was, I realized, yet again, another one of the effects. Difficulty to swallow.

Under any circumstances, I would cry knowing that I’m worse. But, I think, since that night, I’ve decided never to cry anymore and be strong. Not just for myself, but for my family as well.

They needed me strong. They needed me happy. They needed me alive, enjoying life, and not just merely existing and waiting for the day to come.

And I needed them to believe that, yes, indeed, I was living. And I was happy.

I breathed out. I knew Vincent was saying something but because I was deep in my thoughts, I did not get what he was trying to say. And so, I looked at him. I raised my eyebrows in question, knowing that my words won’t do any good in conversing to other people right now.

“Are you okay?” he asked, softly and gently.

I nodded. “Yeah.”

He grinned at me and then ruffled my hair. “You look so ridiculous in your school uniform.”