CHAPTER 38

CHAPTER 38

NICOLLE'S POV

Right.

Just because Zelle wasn't here, doesn't mean I shouldn't wake up on time. I opened my eyes slowly and complained about everything wrong in the world, like expecting you to go to a birthday party where you hardly know everyone after three or four hours of sleep. Ok fine, I'll say last night was a good night. It was a blast yeah, and well, a little awkward. Anyway, I had to get up now. 

I checked the time and saw it was already almost 7:30 P.M.

Two words: Oh shit.

I hurriedly got to my feet and went straight to the bathroom tripping over food and a lot of other bunch of stuffs on the floor. I brushed my teeth, took a short shower and dug some clothes. And for the final touch, I brushed my hair. I checked the time again. 7:38. Not bad but I'm still gonna be late.

Ok, what was I wearing? What was I wearing? I looked at myself in the mirror. Keep it casual, I remembered Luke saying. Ok so, tattered skinny jeans, a plain white shirt and blue Chuck Taylors. Perfect. My typical outfit. 

I got out of my room and checked the home phone for any messages and sure there was one. My heart sank when I heard Andrew's voice saying he couldn't pick me up. Fuck. Now, I should go over Luke's alone. It's 30 minutes from my unit in a car and about 45 minutes in public transportation. Oh I'm screwed.

Luke personally threatened be that if I'm late tonight for his party, I'm gonna be messed up for life. But I didn’t believe him. What’s he gonna do anyway? Chinese me to death? Pft. 

I got my phone and typed in, "Sorry. I'm gonna be late. Happy Birthday!"

Sent.

I didn't get any reply. I wasn't expecting one anyway since he's all too busy tonight. And aside from that, I wasn't expecting any knock on my door tonight. Andrew said he wasn't going to pick me up so... Well, maybe he changed his mind. I went straight for the door.

The moment I opened the door, I kissed his cheek and smiled. "I thought you weren't gonna pick me up?"

He didn't move. And slowly, I came to realize that he wasn't Andrew. My eyes widened as I immediately let go of his arm. "Oh,” I croaked. “I’m so… I’m sorr—“ I gulped. “—y”

I closed one eye as my toes started to curl in panic. “I thought y-you were Andrew."

He smiled weirdly at me as he scratched the back of his neck. He awkwardly scanned me but before he could say anything, I noticed his outfit.

"Blake, why are you wearing a long sleeved polo shirt? That's a bit semi-formal-ish."

He looked at me like I grew a second nose. For what seemed like forever, we just looked at each other. There was something wrong, I'm just not sure what it was.

"Semi-formal diba?" he asked me (more like informed).

I slapped my forehead lightly. "Oh sorry. I'll just change, ok? Why are you here, anyway?"

He checked the time then looked at me. "Pinapasundo ka ni Andrew eh."

I nodded. "Oh. Can you...err, wait? I'm just gonna change."

He replied with a nod and we both stepped inside.

He closed the door and suddenly, I felt even more uneasy. I felt even more nervous. Plus, my insides were panicking as butterflies of all sort floated around in my body. He sat down the couch and I practically ran to my room, leaving him with the words, “Sorry about the mess.”