CHAPTER 59

CHAPTER 59

NICOLLE’S POV

This wasn’t right, I know. In fact, it’s the farthest thing from being the sane thing to do. This was the closest thing to being stupid.

My brain kept on telling me to not do this, but my emotions tell me otherwise.

When we reached the parking lot, Matthew Hawkings was trying to let go of my hand. I wasn’t planning to. I just wanted him to hold me for a few more minutes. I just needed someone to be there for me. I don’t care who. What matters is… someone is here.

Even if it was Matthew Hawkings.

I barely know this guy. Sure he said he was my friend but how certain could I be? Can’t be that certain. Anyone can simply say that they’re my friend even when they’re not because that’s how the world works… you lie or get lied to.

It’s human nature.

Yeah, it’s human nature.

But there’s something about Matthew Hawkings that made me want to trust him. Wasn’t normal but I’d take my chances.

“Hey, Nicolle—“

“Please,” I begged him. “Even just for a week.”

“You think I could keep you?” he asked as he chuckled.

I kept my gaze on the floor because I was too embarrassed to look at him. I looked so desperate and pathetic trying to get away from the persons who have been a big part of my life… my family… Blake.

“Nicolle, you can’t do this,” he told me.

I heard him let out a frustrated breath.

Finally, I looked up at him. “But you just told me that I can—“

“Yes! But it’s because he was mad and… I can’t control him. He’s mad! What if he hurts you?! Then it’s on me not his!”

He forced my hand away from his as he licked the inside of his cheek and looked away from me, frowning. He ran his hand through his hair before looking back at me. I could see in his eyes that he was thwarted.

“I’m sorry,” I yammered. “I’m sorry, but I have no choice!”

My hand flew right over my forehead as I bit my lip to keep myself from whining again. He took me by the wrist and dragged me gently towards his car. “I think you should take a rest and think things over,” he suggested as he opened the door for me.

"Get in," he asked, fidgeting with his keys. 

I didn't argue. I slid myself inside the car, sitting on the passenger seat. 

"My house's a bit far, so you can sleep if you want to."

His voice was cold. I could feel that he was upset about this but... if he really was, then why would he ask me to runaway with him when Blake was about to steal me away? I know he said Blake was mad... but it wasn't enough reason. 

Everyone knew that Blake wouldn't hurt me, not physically, no. So he had nothing to worry about. But he still saved me. 

And I was beyond grateful. 

"Are... are you mad?" I asked him when he started driving. 

"I told you to sleep, didn't I?" he asked, focusing on the road. I noticed that his eyebrows were pulled together in a frown. 

"Are you mad?" I asked once again. 

He didn't answer so I decided to shut my mouth up for a while. Let him cool up a bit and maybe later, we could talk.