CHAPTER 56

CHAPTER 56

NICOLLE'S POV 

It’s two weeks prior to my birthday. And I don’t know what the hell Blake and I were doing in the hospital. 

It was obvious that Blake was nervous. I mean who couldn’t say that? He was sweating. His jaw was clenched. His knees were shaking uncontrollably. And he was either clearing his throat or gulping every now and then. Geez, he couldn’t calm down. 

I couldn’t blame him, anyway. I, for the record, was kind of agitated. As to why, I couldn’t figure out. All I could focus on right now is me having a speech disorder. Well, it’s not that I had it but… suddenly, I just started having a hard time speaking. 

The words were understandable but slurred. Oh! Maybe that’s why Blake brought me here. To have me checked up.

And maybe that’s why I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen today. 

The thought only made me more nervous. I’m not sick, right? I mean, sometimes it’s just a little something. Or… or… or a false alarm. Or something is just stuck in my throat or my tongue is just—I don’t know—impaired. 

Nothing big, right? 

But why do I feel so uneasy and disturbed and… betrayed? And why betrayed? No one betrayed me. Heck—no one lied to me. 

I looked around and along the hallway, I saw people with sad faces. Of course, it was evident that they were here for only two reasons: 1) visiting sick relatives 2) they are sick themselves.

I peeked at Blake and compared his expression to those of the people—excluding the nurses and doctors—around. The same distress was all over his features. 

He was looking down on his shoes as I continued to stare at him. He let out a breath then looked at me. He smiled weakly at me, like he was just faking it. And it was hurting. 

“What are we doing here?” was what I was trying to tell him, but the words were intangible as the reason why we were here. 

His eyebrows raised in question. “Ha?” he asked, his tone was threaded with worry. 

My jaw clenched in frustration. I don’t know why the hell I was frustrated. I just—I just wanted to be angry. And to throw things. And to shout at everyone. One moment I felt so confused, the next I felt so mad. 

The past few days, I have been like this. I was not even sure if it were just days or weeks. It didn’t matter. These mood swings were worse and not normal. 

Maybe Blake was noticing that, too. And he thought that it was best to have me checked up. 

All of a sudden, I could just feel someone shaking me. I shook my head as my eyebrows met. I squinted at Blake’s blurred face. 

I could see him say something but I could not quite catch what he was saying. And right then, I started to panic. 

And I started shouting. 

Everything became clear again and I could see everyone look at us… at me. Like I was crazy and like they were disgusted. 

I breathed in deeply.

Blake held my hand tightly. 

I felt as if I was not like them. I was not normal. 

Then everything went black. Just black. But I did not faint. I know I did not. Because I could hear Blake say something and I could hear the murmurs of the people around and I could hear my heavy breathing.