CHAPTER 53 (part two)

NICOLLE’S POV

When I checked the time, it was already almost midnight. I was alone in the front porch, sitting on the swing, waiting for myself to feel sleepy. I don’t know where the three guys went but mom was already sleeping.

“Vanilla!” I called when I got bored. Vanilla ran towards me and laid down in front of me, her tongue out. “Come here,” I told her as I pointed to my lap.

She whimpered but jumped on me, nonetheless. I patted her head. Vanilla closed her eyes as I continued to play with her big ears. “Why do I feel this way?” I suddenly asked her.

I know she wouldn’t answer but Vanilla would listen. “I feel so terrible… like… I don’t know… like I’m a burden.” I sighed.

Vanilla jumped on the swing and settled her head on my lap. I continued patting her. “Vanilla,” I whispered. “Am I a burden?”

She whimpered.

I found myself smiling.

“How did Choco Fudge die? Do you know?” I asked her.

“He’s too old.”

I turned my head and saw mom standing by the door, holding a blanket and a cup of milk.

“Hi,” I greeted.

Vanilla jumped off the swing and my mom sat beside me. She handed me the cup of milk and wrapped the blanket around me. “It’s cold, isn’t it?” she asked as she tucked a hair behind my ear.

I drank some of the hot milk and looked at my mom. “Yes, I kind of missed it. It never gets this cold back in the Philippines.”

“How are you there?” she asked.

“Good… but, you know Luke and Krungy, right?”

She nodded.

I shifted on my place to fully face her. “They broke up.”

Her eyebrows furrowed. “That Krungy girl looks so sweet. That’s so sad,” she told me, understanding palpable on her face.

A long silence ensued. The snow fell harder and the wind got more chilly. I blew out a breath and enjoyed the smoke that exited from my mouth. “Mom, my friends… Luke and Krungy broke up.”

I looked at her. Her face was an image of worry and sadness. “I know, sweetheart… You just said that.”

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion. “Did I?”

She smiled sadly at me and held my hand. “I miss you so much,” she told me.

I settled the cup on the floor. When she pulled me to her for a hug, that was when I started breaking down. I cried because it’s not everyday that I could hug my mother like this. I could feel her stroking my back gently as I heard her say comforting words that I didn’t understand.

Right at this moment, I wanted to ask my mom why. Why she’s so sad. Why she sounds so unhappy. Why she feels so gloomy and full of worry.

Especially when I’m around.

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying even harder. I don’t want her to see me like this because the hurt will be doubled on her. I know because she loves me.

I hugged her even tighter when I heard her say, “I’m sorry, Nicolle. I’m really sorry for everything. I’m begging you, Nicolle. I only want to ask one thing from you…”

She let go of me and cupped my cheeks instead. She brushed my cheeks with her fingertips just like what she always does when I’m sad. “Nicolle, don’t ever, ever forget to be happy.”