CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12 

NICOLLE’S POV 

“I’M ON MY WAY”  

I was standing alone in the middle of the parking lot. I was trying to blink my tears away but the more I did, the more it hurt. Perez just left me like that, without any other word. He’s not even answering my calls and he didn’t even bother to send me a single text message. 

What the hell’s wrong with him?!

I took my glasses off and rubbed my face, trying to get myself together. I let out a breath and started to walk slowly to the direction of the café. As I dragged my feet along the pavement to the lovely place, I felt a vibration on my jeans’ front pocket. I fished my phone out and saw Andrew’s text message. 

“Nicolle, I’m on my way. Stay where you are.” 

It was his second reply when sent him that text message that I don’t know how to go home from here. Childish and stupid, I know. I stood there and just stared at his text message. Then I recalled that day. That was Monday, after lunch. That day when we talked. That day when he tied my shoelaces for me.

We were sitting on the bleachers, just watching the athletes scattered around the field do their thing. There was a few moment of silence. It wasn’t the rough silence. In fact, it was a welcoming one, heartwarming. It even made me smile. I could just live with this peace and quiet.  

I let out a sigh which made Andrew turn to look at me. I looked at him out the corner of my eyes.  

“So, how’s it going?” he started off. I turned my head fully to face him and saw him smiling. His eyes were twinkling, his hair perfectly falls on is eyebrows, his lips were as sexy as ever, his smile just melted my heart. He was an angel. 

A cupid. 

The words I’m about to utter died in my throat as Andrew put his hand on my shoulder.  “Hey, you ok?”  

With concern filling his eyes, he took his hand off my shoulder and cradled my cheek, and just then, the world faded away. All I can see was the blur background and the good features of a young man called Andrew Bailey. My heart is going crazy. My stomach is turning. My cheeks are burning. 

I nodded slowly and fought the urge to jump and smile my widest smile, yelp and melt in front of Andrew. He pressed his palm against my cheek even more. And my eyes grew a tad wider. I am speechless.  

“You sure? But you’re all red. Are you sick?” 

Andrew has always been one gentleman. Every time I am with him, he always makes sure that I am comfortable. He even promised that he will never make fun of me when I am speaking in Filipino. Since then, he always speaks to me in English. It’s funny if you think of it; he’s got that accent like he has always lived in Canada.  

He pulled his hand away slowly as I said the words ‘I’m ok’. He smiled at me and I did too. Realizing that the only words that came out of my mouth were only ‘I’m ok’, I thought I needed to think of something that will make the atmosphere comfortable. Things like, tennis, or music or food. Right when I was about to let something exit my lips, Andrew right here utter a particular Japanese name. At least I think it was Japanese.  

“Reika…”  

Being the always-curious-and-somewhat-nosy type of girl, I darted him a glance. “What?”  

Letting out a breath, Andrew looked back at me with a smile. It was a weak smile, I can say. It’s as if he’s fighting the tears that are there in his eyes blurring his vision. He adjusted to another position on the bleacher. He dropped his elbows on his knees and his hands were clasped together. My eyes stalked Andrew’s motions. There were a few minutes of stillness before he could finally answer my question.