Part 42

Neeka, Nima and Chelnuk became firm friends over the ensuing weeks. Kendra’s apartment was basically Chelnuk’s now and the three of them and other friends stayed up late drinking, chatting and playing games. There seemed to be no one who caught Chelnuk’s eye. Plenty of the servant girls liked the look of him. His father let him play and concerned himself instead with the king’s business.

The men of Asshur had raided Burhem a town near the northern most border of King Baran’s land. Kendra was sent out with a detachment of men to patrol the area. He did not ask Chelnuk to accompany him because it might have been too dangerous. The twenty best men accompanied him and his second Banko who was also the next best fighter and who rode beside the half angel.

“Why do the men of Asshur keep raiding us?” asked Banko, “surely they know we will avenge our countrymen?”

“I think they are being pushed into it by Babylon. She is always trying to increase her empire.”

As he rode along the dirt track Banko thought again,” Neither they nor we are strong enough to take on the might of the Babylonian empire.”

“They force their way through the passes and into the valley. Kashnuk is a war monger and will try to force us out.”

“Would it not be better for us if we were to ally against the Babylonians?”

“The people of Asshur have always been the enemies of the cities of Aram. It would take something special for there to be peace between us.”

“I thought you believed in miracles?” Banko looked back at Kendra to see his reaction.

“I do, but sometimes miracles take time. Sometimes miracles have to be prayed for over many a year.”