Part 12

The old man had worked long and hard on his book. He sat in a darkened room lit by a single candle, surrounded by documents and dusty shelves. A cat rubbed against his legs. He stretched and stood up, rubbed his back and his eyes.

There was a knock at the door. He walked to the door and opened it. Kendra stood there grimly.

“Nephilim, I have not seen you in one hundred years, come in.” He held the door open and stood aside.

The grim giant strode into the cavern of a room. After closing the door Shem walked ahead and cleared some scrolls off another chair. “It is not often that people visit me in my library.” After sitting he asked, “So what is it you have come about?”

“I have grave news Shem, there is an evil empire in the East...”

“What do you mean evil?”

“There is sexual immorality, murder, drunkenness and magic use.”

“How do you know this?”

“On one of my many travels I stopped off in a city new to me. I was invited to join the leader’s guards. While there for the night I saw the things that I told you about. When I stood up to leave in disgust, they had me taken to their prisoner pit. I would still be there now if it were not for my father’s gift.”

“I have heard rumours that the leader was creating an empire to the East and that he was encouraging his people to sin to drive the spirit of God from the earth.”

“This he seems to have done; there is no barrier to men’s sin now. None of those who sinned in front of me felt the slightest guilt!”

“I must see this for myself, in secret, before I bring any charges against him.”

“I can protect you on the way.”

“No my friend, being seen with one of your stature may draw notice of my intentions. No, I will go with two of my sons. They and I shall be witnesses to his crimes against God and against humanity.”

As Shem travelled to Babylon he saw evidence of all that was going on in Babylon, even before he came to the city it self. There was evidence of war, idolatry and drunkenness upon the way. When they got into the city they were also witnesses to the debauchery and sexual immorality quoth by Kendra.

After a month, upon his return, Shem wrote a letter to Nimr:

“We have heard here inAramthat those of you inBabylonhave discovered the truth. You have found the truth hidden in the stars and the fire and the truth taught by the serpent. Please come to us and teach us of all that you have learned.”