Part 17

He smiled at her and held her hand. “Thank you for coming to this place with me, and for understanding that my heart is both angel and man, a fighter with two halves. If I am wounded badly my father’s gift will return me here to be tended by your loving hands.”

She smiled and they kissed.

Cephrasi was now an ancient man. He had lived longer than other mortals, for 300 years, but his human side had caught up with him. Having had many sons by different women he had welded them into a secret society called the Avengers of Cephrasi. The society was bent on the destruction of Kendra. In each home of every head son was a bust of Kendra engraved with the description of his height and physical characteristics. Each descendant had tried to infiltrate the kingdoms visited by Kendra. Cephrasi’s oldest living great grandson, Monray, was a governor in the kingdom of Tubal. Others were advisors, generals or well placed servants in the courts and kingdoms of the 12 righteous nations.

The first attempt by the avengers was when Kendra was working for King Minas. The kingdom of Aram needed men prepared for war because of the machinations of neighbouring Asshur. Asshur was one of the righteous kingdoms, but one of Cephrasi’s great grandsons, a “prophet” had stirred the kingdom up against Aram. Kendra was still friends with the descendants of Shem and while visiting the palace of Minas he stopped by a fountain to take a drink. He scooped the water up in his hand and sipped its coolness.

An avenger was also in the garden, talking with one of the palace guards. Seeing Kendra he waited until the guard greeted him. The guard welcomed the half angel by name then the avenger knew that this was his prey. He followed Kendra into a robing room, where visitors relieved themselves. As Kendra faced the middle of the room to urinate the avenger drew out his blade and struck Kendra in the back. Luckily the dagger hit Kendra’s shoulder blade. In pain Kendra quickly turned, grabbing the avengers arm, instantly breaking it.

“Who sent you?” he asked.

“I am one of the avengers of Cephrasi, and our order shall not rest until you lie in your grave!”

Kendra threw the attacker against the wall with such force that the man broke his neck. He then grabbed his shoulder. The guard hearing the commotion came in to help Kendra out and took him to another room hoping to bind his wounds. As the guard left to find some cloth, Kendra disappeared.

“What is the matter with you?” Sanilas asked Kendra.

“I have just been attacked by assassin, one who would kill me for Cephrasi my enemy.”

Sanilas bathed the wound. “It is a blessing the blade did not get under your shoulder, here let me bind you.”