Part 45

Feigning pain I dropped to my knees and he struck me on the head with his fist. This stunned me a little. Again he tried to strike me in on the head with his mace and I brought up my staff to block him, the staff was rent in twain and I was sent to the floor a second time. I glanced at the king and this time he smiled. Getting up slowly I saw that Bulg was grimacing I spoke out of the side of my mouth to the King, ‘Am I supposed to survive this combat?’

“He smiled at me. It was then that I knew it was my moment. Bulg tried to swing at me again. I used both halves of the staff to block his mace and then hit him in the stomach and over the head, this sent him tumbling over and onto the floor. His mace fell away and so I kicked it over to the side and also threw my broken staff away. I fell on him as does the bear to its prey and got him in a head lock. He strained back but was unable to break my hold. He thumped me on the back and again tried to break my hold. ‘Do you yield?’ I asked.

“‘Never,’ he replied.

“So I held him more. He was still unable to wriggle out of my hold.

“‘The end,’ said the master of ceremonies, ‘Kendra has won.’

“I released Bulg, who hit me as I let him go. I had won.

“It was only afterwards that I found out he had killed all of the other champions sent against him. I think he used blunt weapons to lure his opponents into a false sense of security.”