Part 46

“I have heard that before Kendra,” said Ean, “and each time you add a little more.”

“What do you mean?” questioned Kendra, looking Ean in the eye.

“When he released you said he hit you!”

“Well?”

“Last time you didn’t mention that.”

“I forgot that’s all, do you never forget?”

“Not as well as you.”

They both laughed. After more story telling and supper they settled down to sleep with two on guard.

A figure sneaked past one of the drowsy guards and to the place where Kendra lay, for no reason a bucket upturned and fell over the half angel’s head. The giant man awoke and saw the assassin poised over him with a dagger. Grabbing both the assailant’s hands Kendra pushed him back and rolled on top of him and in his quickness slew the assassin with his own blade. The failed killer stared intensely into Kendra’s eyes as his life ebbed away.

The guards came over to see what was happening.

Kendra looked at them with disdain, “Where were you?”

“The man was stealthy, he sneaked past us both,” said one of the guards.

“Well now he is dead I am doubling the guard.” He nodded at them, “You two, dispose of the body.”

They picked up the lifeless corpse, Kendra saw something, “No, wait.” There was an emblem on the assailant’s dagger. It had a likeness of Kendra himself. Picking it up he then walked a little way into the woods tapping the handle of the dagger on his palm.