Part 52

Kendra spoke through his teeth, “Why are you raiding the lands of King Baran?”

“Our lord and master desires the lush land of Aram for a growing population.”

“That is a lie, your peoples are not large enough to need extra land.”

“My master is lord of all he surveys; he wishes to also be master of what is unseen as well.”

“Your master is a war mongering tyrant, if he does not stop these raids into my lord’s lands then there will be out and out war.”

“My lord has the men for such a task. What is there to stand in his way of his ambition?” arrogantly the man puffed out his chest.

This annoyed Kendra, the man was an upstart a vain raider who was lucky to be alive. “Do not be so sure that you will win a war against the kingdom of Baran. If your king attacks us then he will disturb a hornet’s nest.”

The man looked a little less sure of himself.

“Now go,” ordered Kendra, “any other incursions will be considered an act of war.” He watched them pick up their gear and begin the steep descent towards the enemy valley at the end of the chasm.

It took about an hour for him to gather his men from the village and return to the place where he had left the main body of his men. Then they spent the rest of the day travelling back to the palace of King Baran.