Part 43

That night they stopped in a copse and set up camp. Two men guarded the horses, two cooked a meal and the rest either laid or sat around the camp fire.

Those at the camp fire goaded Kendra to tell them one of his adventures.

“Oh alright,” he took a deep breath, “Once, long ago, when you were but mere boys, the king of the south Bradrech challenged king Garian to have their champions fight. Bradrech’s champion Bulg the giant was slightly taller than I. He was known to fight five men at a time and kill them all. Bradrech was proud of his champion and so wanted to show him off. Having bested all the other champions of the surrounding nations it was now my turn. King Garian, I and the kings personal bodyguard travelled to the city of  Lakum. We were well fed and provided for. On the day of the challenge we saw the arena the king had made for all the challenges. The king, courtiers and guests could all see over a wall and into the central area. Blunt weapons were in a rack to one side, staffs, clubs maces and such like. Bradrech stood up and declared, ‘Now my challenge to you King Garian is for your champion Kendra to defeat my champion Bulg the giant today in combat. Let the challenge begin.’

“Until this time I had not seen Bulg, he had been kept in private quarters away from me. When he entered the arena he looked impressive. Dark leggings with no top, just rippling muscles, a fur cap with feathers, sporting a beard and moustache. Those of Bradrech’s court and hangers on cheered him loudly.