Part 47

“It was I that tipped the bucket,” whispered Puleyn.

Danen also spoke, “I wanted the staff to fall across you but went with Puleyn’s idea.”

Kendra then spoke, “This is a blade from the Avengers of Cephrasi. I thought they had all been slaughtered?”

“The assassins were of a large family,” explained Puleyn, “dotted around in different areas. Though they were quashed in one they have survived in others. We said we would look out for you.” He looked at Kendra and smiled.

“Did you have to make it such a wet experience?” Kendra queried as he tried to shake some of the water from his hair.

“I thought you could take a bit of fun,” laughed the angel.

Kendra looked at both Puleyn and Danen with gratitude, “I must thank you my brothers, again this night you have saved me.”

Both Puleyn and Danen bowed slightly. After leaving them Kendra made his way back to the camp. Restlessly he slept that night, his mind disturbed by the new revelation of Cephrasi’s legacy, the assassins sworn to part him from his life.

At about six in the morning Kendra roused the men. Making sure they had breakfast he woke the cook early to prepare it while the others broke camp. When all was done Kendra himself made sure the fire was extinguished. They mounted up and he led them out of the clearing.