Part 37

Near their kingdom to the south is the empire of Babylon.”

“I want to see one of your battles Dad!”

“I would not want you anywhere near a battlefield, too soon would you be in the land of the spirits. Your mother would be too sorrowful. I will not let you.”

Chelnuk was silent for now about the matter.

Kendra took his son to the kitchens. “This is where we have the best cooks in the land. There may be a wife for you among them.”

The kitchen consisted of a large hall with a giant fireplace at one end. This was where the animals were roasted. There were six alcoves each with a different group of chefs in charge of them. A bread section took up the first alcove followed by a sweet meals section, a platter section, a filleting section, a spice section and a poultry section. 40 cooks and chefs comprised the cooking staff, most of them women.

“Hello Kendra,” said an older woman, her dress covered by an apron, her hair tied back. “Who do we have here?”

“This is my son Chelnuk he is in need of a wife and a good meal, Gillean.”

Chelnuk looked embarrassed. Gillean pushed him slightly, “Leave it up to your parents to embarrass you, eh Chelnuk. I don’t know about a wife but I’m sure we can give you a good meal.”

Chelnuk smiled.

“Come over to the poultry section, we can make you some eggs and salted pork.”

“I don’t know if I want to eat meat again.”

“Well we can make toast and give you some savoury beans to go with it.” Gilleen took him over to the bread section.

“I need to be away now son,” said Kendra, “I will leave you in Gilleen’s capable hands.” He turned and went through the door, Chelnuk chased after him but he had vanished.