Part 4

He saw one of Noah’s sons, who had separated himself from the others. The son looked mean and bitter, he was using a stick to drive the animals he came across from his path. Then he sat on a stone, spitting curses.

Kendra bobbed down and listened.

“...curse me does he because I saw him in his nakedness and told my brethren. He’ll see, I’ll break the curse and make my brothers serve me instead...”

The Nephilim realised that there must have been some kind of argument and was turning to leave when he saw three angels looking at him.

“Why are you here Nephilim? What is your purpose? asked the lead angel who stood at about 7 foot, clothed in silver raiment and holding a bronze coloured spear.

“I was just seeing how Noah and his family were doing after their ordeal.” He was stunned and his lips dried a little, being put on the spot by one of his father’s own.

“You have not been assigned the duty to guard them, you do not need to be here,” said the second angel.

“It would be well with you if you stayed in the bosom, until more of the earth is revealed,” said the third angel.

Kendra looked away then back again before he concentrated and then was back in the Bosom.

Time passed. He lived happily with his wife but he was bored. He had liked the freedom he could have on the earth, he missed it. There was peace in the Bosom but no excitement. Everything was calm and ordered there was no strife. Kendra longed for the time when he was a hero, when he led men in battle. How his heart sang when he surveyed his mighty men charging at full speed towards their foe. The many footfalls forcing dust from the dry earth into the air around their feet, a storm of death.

“Why do you ponder so Kendra?” asked Salinas, she looked concerned because he was quiet and ponderous.

He splayed his hands out on the roughly hewn table and stretched slightly, “I think of fights of old and my part in them.”

“Most men would long to have what you have, peace, a wife, land to grow and produce on.”

“But I get bored Salinas. This is why I help my father with his guard duties.” He leaned back on his chair slightly to look her in the eye.

“But being a guardian is dangerous. Especially when there are others more powerful than you,” she pointed at him with her sword-like finger, “who would kill you as look at you.”

He looked away from her not wanting a confrontation and hoping for a little sympathy from the woman he loved. “I long for more time on the earth, a time of greatness and bold deeds.”

“You can take the hero out of the fight but you cannot take the fight out of the hero.” That sounded like a quote from somewhere she thought.