Part 11

The fight was on. Kendra grabbed the man’s arm and twisted it. In turn the man twisted and grabbed Kendra about the head. Kendra’s speed and strength came into play. Grabbing both of his opponents’ hands he forced them apart and threw the man over his head. The guard, winded slightly, picked himself up. The half angel turned his back and started to walk away thinking the fight finished. However the chief guard drew out his sword and lunged at the back of his unguarded opponent. The blade stabbed into Kendra’s robe, but he came to know harm. Turning, Kendra unsheathed his dagger, as big as a short sword, and took a defensive stance. One, two thrusts by the guardsman were quickly parried. Another lunge and Kendra stepped aside and brought his hilt strongly upon the man’s head. The blow sent him stunned into the tables. While he was there, unable to defend himself another guard, jealous of the chief guard, got out his dagger and slit his superior’s neck. The chief guard’s blood flowed generously, he gagged and held his throat. Kendra looked to see if there was disdain upon the faces of the onlookers, but instead the guests started to laugh in their drunken revelry. Sickened he turned to leave.

Then Nimr said to his guards, “Take him to the pit.”

It took ten guards to finally hold him enough to throw him into the pit, a stinking rancid hole in the ground covered by a wooden grate. Kendra thought he would let them settle down before he made his way back to the bosom. A few hours later, after the drink, women and debauchery had done their job, all was quiet, Kendra concentrated…

“Kendra, what is it?” Salinas had seen that he looked pensive and was obviously worried.

“I have been to a city and seen as much sin as was upon the earth before the Flood.”

“What you mean?”

“Drunkenness, sexual immorality, murder and even calling upon the evil one I have heard.”

“What are you going to do about it?”

“I have thought about it, I have prayed about it. I need to see Noah’s son, Shem. He is the most respected leader among your people.”

“But first eat with me.”

“The last meal I had stuck to the inside of my stomach. It was no good eating with such sin.”

“But I am your friend, and your love?”

Kendra looked at the broth she had so lovingly prepared, “You are that, I will see what I can eat.”