Part 20

So he was surprised to learn the fact that an attempt had been made on Kendra’s life. “Here in the palace?” How can it be? That I have assassins/murderers working for me?”

“I do not think it is like that your Highness. These people are secretive and portray themselves as respectable members of society. It is only in secret do they plot against me and no one else.”

“Still, it shocks me to the core to know that one of my greatest friends, my champion, has almost been killed in my house. Something must be done about it, straight away.”

“This is what I want to talk to you about. The setting of a trap, to catch the nest of vipers at once.”

“What do you suggest?”

“To hold some kind of event, a party for me, to celebrate a victory over the three Kings.”

“Do you think the assassins will strike at such a public event?”

“They may do. Or they may strike while I sleep in my quarters.”

“Do you sleep in your quarters?”

“Not usually my lord, but if I “get drunk” and am carried to my quarters then there might be an attempt.”

“What happens if they do not take the bait?”

“I could “develop” a drinking problem.”

“Would that work for you? I know that you are a superman, able to heal fast, quick, strong, agile. I have seen you drink before and never get drunk.”

“They do not know that.”

“Alright, I will get my staff to organise a party for tonight, and then we will see if your plan works.”

“There was something I wanted to ask you, the man who attempted to kill me.Who was he?”

“He was a scribe of the court, a man usually occupied with the daily task of cataloguing court documents, letters from regional leaders etc.”

“I shall have to visit the place where he worked.”

“I will ask Menelas to take you there.”

Menelas was the chief adviser to the king in all matters of the kingdom and sometimes in matters of war. Both he and Kendra sat at the king”s war table with the king”s generals.He was a good but strict administrator.

“Menelas,” said the king, “show Kendra to the room of the failed assassin, the scribe Dinas’s room.”

The chief adviser bowed slightly to the king, held out his hand to show Kendra to follow, then walked through the outer archway leading to the palace Court Garden.

“I hope you are well now my Lord Kendra”, said Menelas.” He thought for a moment and then asked, “Did you know this Dinas well Menelas?”

“I had some dealings with him, asked him to write letters to the regional leaders sometimes if my personal scribe was ill.”

“Did you notice anything unusual about him?”