Part 32

“Nor me, but it has.”

“I do not think that it is a good idea that he looks for a wife on the earth. If he gets to like the life there he may never come back.”

Looking out to the garden he said sternly, “Yes, I was thinking that.”

“It would break my heart,” she looked as though she was going to cry, so Kendra hugged her. She put her head on his chest.

“I would be deeply sorry too, but we cannot refuse him. You never know, you may soon have a daughter-in-law to help you with the chores.”

They both smiled then Kendra went over to Chelnuk again. Salinas listened at the door.

Some of Chelnuk’s friends had come to see him off. His mother had packed a sack for him full of the things he loved to eat and spare changes of clothes. She looked into his eyes and brushed his hair to the side, “I love you Chelnuk, be sure to get a good wife and bring her back here.”

He looked down for a moment then smiled back at her. One of his friends clapped him on the back, “Make sure she is good looking as well as a good cook.”

Turning to his father Chelnuk said, “I am ready.”

His father hugged him tight, he looked around at everyone again, smiled then said farewell.

Kendra concentrated then they were gone.

Sarine put her head on her mother’s shoulder and her arm around her waist, “I will miss him mother.”