Part 48

Close now to the village of Burhem the sky darkened and it grew colder. As the troop rode into the village those villagers who were out quickly took refuge in their homes. One of the men stood near his door, “Who be you?” he asked.

“I am lord Kendra of Baran’s court. We have come here to see if we can put a stop to the border raids by the kingdom of Asshur.” He dismounted and straightened his cloak.

“Oh,” replied the man as he lowered his rake, “we thought you may have been the raiders. We have been lucky so far, only one of our buildings has been burned down.” Walking over to the half angel he offered his arm, “My name is Faren, I am an elder of the village of Burhem.” He showed his open door, “Please my lord, take shelter in our dwelling.”

Kendra nodded in approval, “Thank you Faren, it is most welcome.” Gesturing for his third to have the men and horses rest he walked in with Banko, his second.

Faren pulled out a chair, “Please sit here in front of the fire my lord.” Banko took the other chair. “Melthor,” he called, and when she came he introduced her, “this is my wife Melthor.” Looking at his wife he said, “Bring some wine for our guests then see that the others are made welcome in other homes.”

Faren’s wife, dressed in work-clothes, brought two rudimentary wooden bowls filled with local wine for their guests.

“This is much welcome,” smiled Kendra as he accepted one of the bowls.