Part 51

Looking into the giant’s eyes and realising he had no chance he blurted, “At the other side of the pass near the apple trees.”

Lifting a bottle to the man’s lips Kendra spoke gently, “Drink.” Resting the bottle against the man’s side he also gave him a loaf. “Hadegan,” he called.

Hadegan came forth.

Kendra looked at Hadegan, “Stay with him and when he is a little recovered then take him back to the village until I return.”

“Yes lord.”

He mounted his horse again and took his men into the pass.

Riding his mount warily Kendra surveyed the cliff tops above the chasm. Both instinct and experience told him that this part of the pass was the best place for a trap. Dismounting he smacked it on the rear, it jittered forward at a gallop. Concentrating he then appeared at the top right hand side of the cliffs. There were three raiders there, two were holding a spear as a lever to fulcrum a nasty looking rock over the precipice. Shocked, the third man lifted his hands slightly and gave out a cry. When the others turned their heads it was too late, Kendra knocked them together and rounded on the third.

“Peace,” spoke the third man as he drew his sword then threw it on the rocky ground. It clattered and rang slightly.