Page 16

That night, when Kaleen was groggy with sleep and both Colman and Fech were in the land of nod, Kendra appeared in their cell. They slept apart and Kendra had to decide who to take first, he chose Colman and disappeared.

Near the great river the Nephilim appeared and laid Colman on the ground still snoring. Again the giant man had gone.

It was Fech’s turn and as Kendra got close enough to transport him he started to wake. Quickly Kendra concentrated and vanished again.

On the bank Fech awoke suddenly to find Kendra leaning over him and Colman laying near a river bank. “Wha!” he began.

“I have freed you,” explained Kendra, “for it was sure that Tarendon wanted your life whether you were guilty or not. I think he would have had Kaleen kill you in your sleep if the king ruled for you.”

Sombrely Fech started to understand his captain’s words, “But what are we to do, I have family in the city?”

Throwing the guard a bag of coin Kendra replied, “I shall see that they are kept safe. When Tarendon is no longer a threat to you I shall call for you.”

Nodding as he got up Fech went over to kick Colman awake, for he was still snoring, “I am glad you rescued us, I was thinking of killing him because of the noise he makes at night.”

Kendra smiled and then walked away down the river bank to give himself enough distance to return unnoticed to the king’s palace.