Part 55

Then came Mip and Filane, their voices hushed as they got into the room and nodded at Kendra and the others.

Baran entered next closely followed by Gant. “Are we all met?” enquired the king.

Standing Kendra addressed him, “All but Belgarn as we discussed earlier.”

“Ne’er mind,” waved the king, “you have said you will ready his men.” Then the king addressed everyone, “Your commander, my champion, has brought grave news to my attention. Kashnuk, king of Asshur, shall be at war with us soon. We all know there have been raids through the passes on our villages near the northern border. Now it looks like war.”

Those assembled looked at each other gravely.

The king continued, “Therefore we shall ready our men to defend the passes in three days.”

“But sire,” interjected Gant, “once assembled we will only have 50,000 men.”

“To hold the passes that is more than enough.”

Kendra had been touching his lips with his index finger musing before he spoke, “Our weak point, highness, is the plain to the south.”

“That is the king of Babylon’s land we are safe from an attack there,” replied Baran.

Shaking his head Kendra spoke, “If the king of Asshur allies with the king of Babylon, or at least is friendly as rumours are saying, then they may be able to attack from the south which they have not been able to do so before.”