Part 56

Looking worried the king asked, “What can we do? What if the king of Babylon is Allied with them? They shall overrun us as the sea does the sand. We need more men from all the towns and villages and the other city states of Aram.” He looked at his commanders, “It is up to you to muster the men from the towns and villages and those who are not usually called for military duty, the young and the old. I shall send envoys to the other city states requesting more aid.”

Bornt spoke, “To muster those who are not called for duty could take weeks, do we have time and weapons?”

Looking at Kendra the king spoke seriously, “It is up to you old friend to hold the plain at the ford until we can muster the men folk.”

Kendra replied poetically, “They shall break like the sea on our shield walls, their blood will foam as the ocean.”

The others cheered and the king was glad but he also knew that though Kendra and his handpicked men were the best he had they would be sorely pressed to hold the plain against a horde of enemy soldiers. He dismissed them all but spoke to Kendra as they were leaving, “Wait a minute.”

Kendra stopped to listen.

“We may only have a few days before they start to attack through the passes. I know you are my best man but 50,000 men let alone 10,000 would find it hard to win a battle on the plains.”

“As long as we hold the ford; what else can be done in time my lord? Even if all the men in the kingdom came to battle then they could still overwhelm us.”

“Then God be with you Kendra, and with us all, and may the muster men be quick in their duty, the enemy slow to attack and the river high enough.” He slapped his friend on the back and sent him off.