Part 2

“Oh no Kendra, you have a serious wound. You are not a full son of God. Come let me tend you.” As he tended his son’s wound Thalen spoke softly, “You are strong and valiant in battle my son, but you are mortal. You may have speed and strength, but we angels are immortal and can never be killed lest by the command of God. You must be careful in future where you give your aid, or you will pass beyond the vale and be a spirit.”

Kendra remembered when his side twinged, he remembered Cephrasi, Cephra’s son, his mortal enemy. Salinas saw him holding his side and commented, “Are you ok? You are holding your side?”

“I was just remembering the battle I fought with Cephra and his son.” He looked into the distance.

“Why do you think of such things?” she asked wanting him to look at her.

Looking down at the sink he mused, “There was a twinge in my side. I could have done better.” He grimaced going through the motion in his mind that had ended in his injury.

“He was an angel,” she said, nudging his arm to comfort him, “you are but a Nephilim.” Would he receive her comfort or harden himself inside again as he so often did.

“But I could have killed his son. He also is a Nephilim.”

“What good would that have done, you would then have a mortal enemy in Cephras. It is better to think of good things, things that lift you up. If your mood turns to a dark one you are ill to live with. See my brother is in the garden. Tend the fruit while he is here, talk of good not ill.” Beginning to wash the fruit she hoped that a good conversation with her brother would lighten his mind.

As he passed out of the door he collected his shears and went into the garden. Timas, Salinas’ brother was there, smiling and looking at the plants. He seemed to touch the plums, but his hand passed through them. “I can never get used to being a spirit,” said Timas, smiling and with a slight air of sadness.

“I was talking to Salinas of the battle I had with Cephra and his son," said the half angel as he began to pick fruit.

“You could have been like me Kendra, a spirit, visiting his family in the Bosom. It was a blessing you were only slightly injured.”