Part 44

“The King whispered in my ear. ‘Make him seem to win then beat him easily.’ I wondered at this then realised the king had placed a wager on me. It bothered me slightly but I decided to do what he said. King Garian Then introduced me and our party cheered. We both stood near the rack of weapons. The master of ceremonies shouted, ‘Choose your weapons.’ I allowed Bulg to choose first thinking that this would help me to decide what to use. He chose a large mace, bigger than a normal man could use. I chose a staff believing the length would keep a distance from us.

“‘Begin,’ called the master of ceremonies.

“We began. Circling each other, he lunged at me, I tapped his mace at the side. I looked at the king who looked down. Again we circled and again he lunged. I pretended to falter and he rammed me with his body. I stumbled back, he was quick and forced me down. Raising his mace above my head he meant to strike me, if I had not been so quick I may have been dead by now. I moved just enough for him to miss my head, but still took part of the hit to my shoulder. I pushed him away and sprang back up. I looked at the king who looked down again. I would have to take another few hits. Bulg struck three times in a row, I parried two of them and let myself get hit by his hand in the side.