Part 53

Burgeoning vines encased the hut Baran used as a place of meditation. When he finally left he saw Kendra waiting for him sitting on a wall.

“Hah, how long have you been here?” asked the king.

“About an hour,” replied the champion as he lifted himself from the wall.

“You were quiet,” Baran observed as he pulled the door to and pulled the vine down. If you didn’t know there was a hut here you would be hard pressed to find it with the vine as a covering. “We expected it did we not my old friend, even from the time of my father. Since the time of Nimrod that kingdom has had a thirst for empire building, unable to move towards Babylon they instead look to us and to the north.” Baran lifted his leg and rested it on the wall near the hut, “Will we have enough men to fight against this warmonger?”

“We can raise an army of 50,000 men 5,000 under each commander and my own company of 10,000 men. The other city states in Aram are pledged to give us 10,000 men each if Asshur moves onto Aramean soil. Altogether that could be 100,000 men. It would take too long to train the men of the field but they too would need to fight if Kashnuk sent his forces to the south.

“Did you not say before that Kashnuk’s army was 500,000 strong? If the king of Babylon joins him then they will be like the sand on the seashore.”