Part 27

“I know my lord. I was grieved by the news of the death of the assassins. I know I had discussed their demise with you, but, through prayer, had realised that it was wrong for me to ask you to do my dirty work. Well, not my dirty work but for you to execute them on my behalf. I would accept this bust off you as a token of our friendship. Thank you my lord.”

The king put his hands on his hips, “You confuse me sometimes Kendra. You take vengeance on my enemies and you talk as though you would smite the Dragon himself. And then you have compassion for a family of assassins out to kill you. If I had not known you so long I would send you from my presence. I executed them because you are my friend, and also my best general. I cannot have you dead I would lose all my battles!” He slapped Kendra on the back and laughed.

After the initial shock Kendra also laughed.

He spent the morning with the king, discussing a war they had heard about in far off Etruria. After a meal Kendra decided to take his gift home.

“I am not having it in the house,” blustered Salinas pointing him out of the house.

“But…”

“No buts, why should I have such a keepsake anywhere around my living spaces. Take it out!”