Part 41

“Never, said Nimen, “What’s an out of the way fellow like you doing in the King’s palace?”

“He’s come to get a wife,” smiled Neeka.

“Whoa, well he’s not having you,” joked Nimen.

They all three laughed.

“So, if you’ve never seen a horse before then it’s more than likely that you’ve never ridden one,” Nimen chuckled.

“The only stories I know of horses are the ones my father told me, the ones of them charging into battle,” said Chelnuk.

“Well, we’ll have to put that right,” he placed a blanket on the horse and tied it underneath. “Now look at me get on,” he hoisted himself up and threw a leg over the horse then patted Lady’s neck. “Good girl,” he cooed then climbed down again, “Now you copy me.”

Chelnuk hoisted himself up on the saddle and tried to put his leg over but, in some way, he slipped off and fell on the floor into the straw.

Neeka and Nimen laughed, then Neeka encouraged him, “Try again.”

So again he hoisted himself up by the saddle and just managed this time to clamber on. All this time the horse remained calm, still and quiet.

“Well done lad,” smiled Nimen, “now take hold of this. This rope turns the horse’s head.”

Chelnuk pulled the reins slightly to the left and the horses head moved to the left.

“Now just sit there while I lead Lady around the paddock.” Nimen started to lead his charge. Quite easily Lady was led around the paddock. Unsteadily Chelnuk sat there, bobbing up and down. “Well done Chelnuk,” encouraged Nimen, “not bad for a first attempt. If you come back tomorrow you can have another lesson.”