Quintessentially Perfect

“You're not gonna play perfect.” Brad Stevens (University of Butler men's head basketball coach)

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. Romans 3:23-24

Quintessential: “representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class” New Oxford American Dictionary

Zig Ziglar say's he has a friend who tells him “You can't climb a smooth mountain.” It's true, without footholds we have no grip to climb. The obstacles we face in life can become footholds for progress, if we choose to see them that way. Life is not perfect, and we aren't perfect either. We'll trip up and make mistakes, we'll stumble and fail, and we'll go through times where it seems we'll never succeed at anything. But all those stumbling blocks we experience in life can be turned to building blocks with the proper attitude. Brad Stevens, the head coach for the Butler University mens basketball team posts in the locker room today's quote because he want's his players to understand that perfection is not expected of them, he expects them to make mistakes because mistakes are a result of effort. There is no such thing as a perfect basketball player. Remember, the quintessential basketball player, Michael Jordan, missed more shots than he made. I can't tell you if the spirit of today's quote makes a huge difference for the Butler basketball team, but over his first three seasons as a NCAA head basketball coach, Brad Stevens has set the NCAA record for the most wins in their first three seasons, became the second youngest coach to ever take a team to an NCAA championship game, became the youngest coach to ever take their team to the final four two years in a row, and didn't stop there, he took his Butler team to the NCAA championship game two years in a row. Commentators have taken note that his team seams to be able to play more effectively than most others while not playing well. University of Purdue coach Piggy Lambert said, “The team that makes the most mistakes will probably win.” For imperfect people like ourselves, mistakes are a result of effort. What if we lived like that, like the person who makes the most mistakes will probably find the most success? It's not that mistakes a good thing, but they show that we are willing to try, willing to make an effort. We could lay in bed all day and not screw up a thing, but that would never lead to a fulfilled life.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake