Our Perspective

“A flower is a weed seen through joyful eyes.” Jonathan Lockwood

The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. The LORD is good to all; He has compassion on all he Has made. Psalm 145:8-9

Perspective: “the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance” Merriam-Webster Dictionary

When Derek Fisher asked to be released from his contract with the Utah Jazz, then signed with the LA Lakers, many basketball fans, especially Jazz fans, were skeptical about his motives. Many, no doubt, saw him as a traitor just wanting to be on a different team. All they could see was that their star point guard didn't want to be on their home team anymore and wanted to move back to LA to play with Kobe Bryant for another championship. With that kind of perspective, it's very easy to make opinions about his character and integrity; with that kind of perspective it's easy to even grow hatred for someone. When President Barack Obama was asked why some people hate him, he responded, “because they don't know me.” It's sad that people form opinions of others based on what they see on TV or hear in a rumor. If people knew half the people they hate, there would be approximately half the hatred in the world today. If people knew that Derek Fisher's daughter had a rare eye cancer called retinoblastoma and that he asked out of his contract with the Utah Jazz to be able to move to LA so she could be close to cancer specialists and that he was moving with no guarantee to play basketball; if they understood that he was sacrificing his career because of his daughter's needs, they may not have been so skeptical of his motives. Let's try to understand and see the other side of everyone's story before we let hatred form for them. I don't think any of us have a friend or family member that we would consider perfect, but we don't hate them. Why should we hate someone we don't know just because they may not be perfect in our own eyes from our own perspective?

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone today?

What act of kindness did I perform today?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake