Old Glory

O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?”

Francis Scott Key (from the “Star Spangled Banner”)

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding shall keep  your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:6-7 (King James Version)

Subsist:  “maintain or support oneself, esp. at a minimal level”  New Oxford American Dictionary

Captive aboard the British ships HMS Surprise and HMS Minden, Francis Scott Key watched helplessly while those very ships bombarded Fort McHenry.  He could see from the lights of the bombardment that the forts smaller storm flag kept flying.  However, when the attack ended and the skies went dark he could no longer see the flag.  He was left in darkness and uncertainty until the light of a new day could reveal whether the fort still stood.  When morning broke he recognized that indeed the storm flag had come down, but it had not come down in defeat, it had been replaced with the forts larger flag, the now famous “Star Spangled Banner.”  As humans we are daily bombarded by hardships and temptations.  And sometimes it can be hard to know whether our Savior is even still there, whether He was ever there.  But one look at God’s creation reveals His presence.  It may be tattered in places by the effects of sin, but His majesty still shines through.  The parallels between solar systems and atomic structures show the genius in the building blocks of His design, and the synergy of creation tells of His presence and the victory that’s already been won on our behalf.  As a fledgling country, one our first acts was to commission a flag as a symbol of our existence and sovereignty.  Francis Scott Key referred to it as “The Star Spangled Banner,” others know it as “Old Glory.”  Whatever its name, it tells the story of America and our trust in God.  God in His majesty has left us with His creation as a banner of His presence.  And it does not simply subsist, its beauty is unmatched by our endeavors, its existence unswayed by our pollution, and its secrets unknown to our sciences.  It is the first, the true, “Old Glory.”  

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you for reading.  You mean a lot to me.

Jake