What to do with Hate

“Love without truth is hypocrisy and truth without love is brutality.”  Jon Stott

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers all wrongs.  Proverbs 10:12

Agape:  “Unselfish love of one person for another without sexual implications; brotherly love.”  Dictionary.com

Unfortunately we live in a society where it’s ok to hate most things.  It’s ok to hate Apple products, or Droids, or mainstream movies.  It’s even perfectly acceptable to hate certain segments of our population.  Some people hate “sellouts,” while others hate “hipsters,” or “yuppies.”  I think a lot of us, if we’re being honest express hatred for things pretty often.  However, I don’t think most of us actually “hate” the things we say we do.  Most wouldn’t treat other people in a way that shows true hatred.  But do we act in a way that show’s love?  Think of the American soldiers who fight everyday to protect the freedoms of the one’s they love at home.  There are thousands of people who would die for the rights of people they don’t know, and maybe wouldn’t even like given the chance to know them.  The truth of their love for freedom and innocence is told by their sacrifice.  Today the United States is fighting terrorism.  It is fighting a force that is motivated by suppression and hatred.  Hatred is at the core of terrorism.  It’s what motivates any terrorist.  And it’s easy to hate it back, and most of us do.  But hatred cannot be fought with hatred.  It can only be fought with love.  Love for the ones back home, for the innocent, for the victims, and even for the ones who hate.  Hatred is a product of evil and evil is the ultimate victimizer.  If there is one thing to hate, hate evil.  We are all the victims of evil in one way or another.  Certainly the innocent must be protected from ones that would do evil, whether they’re terrorists in the middle east, or drug dealers in our streets at home.  And their actions require repercussions in order to protect the innocent.  But we can also love the perpetrators of evil.  Many have found redemption, forgiveness, and purpose behind bars.  As the ultimate example of love conquering hate, Jesus set Himself aside as a sacrifice for the redemption of our sins in order to conquer the devil and his evil.  He set Himself aside so that we could be redeemed of our sin and live in an eternity of love and perfection, void of evil and the crimes it fabricates.  Jesus died showing the ultimate example of agape love.  God does not sees to punish the sinner.  But He also sent His son to die for and to forgive the sins of the very same sinner.  God’s love is evident every day in our lives.  Is our love evident everyday in our lives?  

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What am I thankful for?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you for reading.  You mean a lot to me.

Jake