You Can't Take it Back

“Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence.” Will Henry

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 12:18

Aspersion: “an attack on the reputation or integrity of someone or something” New Oxford American Dictionary

I'm sure we have all heard the saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” There could hardly be an untruer phrase. Bones heal in a matter of weeks, cuts heal in a matter of days, but words can wound in a way that may never heal. Words can lead not only to emotional wounds but physical, and they can cast aspersions not only on the person their intended for, but also the one who intends them. The world is full of beautiful women who believe they're unattractive and strong men who are too afraid to stand up for themselves because of schoolyard insults. Countless marriages are dissolved because two people who once loved each other more than anything they could ever imagine forgot to speak kindly to each other. Thankfully kind words can last a lifetime as well. The encouraging word of an elementary school teacher has been the driving force behind many accomplishments and eulogies are full of the affects of kind words spoken by the eulogized. But I've heard it said, “it takes nine kind remarks to make up for an insult.” The words we speak really can't be taken back and they are more effective at communicating our feelings than we want or believe them to be. Whatever is in our hearts will eventually spill out. Let's resign ourselves with the help of God to foster love in our hearts, so that whatever spills out will emanate kindness. And let's never forget to hold back the kindness we have inside.

 Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone today?

What act of kindness did I perform today?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake