With Him

“God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest.” J.G. Holland

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:26

Dole: “a charitable gift of food, clothes, or money” New Oxford American Dictionary

     The only reason she was in the United States is because she promised her parents she would attend college. Her real life was back home in Uganda with the children of Amazima. It wasn't a plush and comfortable home by materialistic standards. It wasn't even where she was born or even close to it. She was actually from Brentwood, Tennessee, close to where she was going to school. But her heart was in Uganda. And she missed it. She couldn't wait to get back. Why? In her own words, she missed relying on God. With her parents in Brentwood, she had every material thing she ever needed. In Uganda she had nothing without God. In Uganda she had to trust God would show up and provide the next meal and she missed relying on Him. By this time she was taking care of several orphaned children in her home and was starting a ministry to bring hope, purpose, and the gospel to the poorest in Uganda. And while it wasn't a very comfortable life by the standards most westerners, it was rewarding, because God was with her. And now, because Katie Davis relied on God for everything, God is providing for many through her and Amazima Ministries. 

     Isn't it amazing how God can take things that aren't necessarily good and turn them into something valuable? Thorns on a rose bush are a nuisance to us, but they also preserve the beauty of their flowers by protecting them from animals who would destroy them. Clouds hide the sun and it's vitamin D-giving-rays and their rain can cause mudslides and floods, but without them the flora and fauna that make the world a beautiful place would not exist. Without them he world would be an uninhabitable place. In the same way, hard work can make our muscles sore and stretch our mental capacities, but it provides a satisfaction little else can match. Without it our lives would have very little meaning. Faith and trust in God makes everything purposeful and puts everything into perspective. With Him, the worst of situations are illuminated with the light of hope. Without Him, all the possessions and accomplishments in the world are empty and worthless. Let's put our trust in God, trust that He can bless us with more happiness than any of our efforts could ever achieve. Let's trust in Him and see what He will provide. He's already provided the life in us, and that's something no person can give. Let's use it for Him.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake