The Great Instigator

You stood before creation

Eternity in your hand

You spoke the earth into motion

My soul now to stand

Joel Houston (From the song The Stand)

 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.  Genesis 1:1 (King James Version)

Afflatus:  “a divine creative impulse or inspiration”  New Oxford American Dictionary

On my wrist I ware a rubber bracelet with the words, “Jesus says - follow me no matter what,” molded into its band.  I’ve never met the man behind the bracelet; probably never will.  But I know a little bit about his story.  What I know I will tell, forgive me if I make a mistake.  He grew up a Buddhist in a family where much was given to him and much was expected of him and his future.  But he was depressed, wondering what life was all about, wondering if there was any point.  Ready to take his own life one day, someone asked if he wanted to attend a small meeting in the forest and learn about Jesus.  Impulsively, he said yes.  And that’s when God’s eternal plan for him took control of his life.  He became a Christian, and everything changed.  No longer did he suffer the same depression wishing to take his own life.  No longer did he wonder what everything is about.  He knew there was a reason and a point for everything.  He knew the solution to life’s grief and suffering.  That the solution was the Cross.  But that’s just what was happening on the inside.  On the outside, he was beaten and abused for his beliefs.  He was eventually deported from his country to neighboring Batam where he was further beaten for his beliefs.  Eventually he was able to come to the United States where he is free to distribute his bracelets reminding us to follow Jesus.  One of which I wear every day.  I am convinced that no one looking for truth on their own cognizance finds Christianity or God.  They find humanism, they find science, and they find confusion.  Humanity and science are a reality, but in reality they are merely the results of the truth of God.  Without God they don’t make sense, without God they don’t exist.  No, people don’t find God, God found us when He created us.  God is ever present and in our presence.  He can’t be found, He can only be accepted.  In creation, God instigated everything we know.  We cannot by our own power instigate anything, that includes a relationship with God.  If I can’t instigate a relationship with any celebrity I want, why would I think I could instigate a relationship with the most powerful being in existence?  God is the great instigator, that includes truth, that includes life, and that includes our divine relationship.  God instigated a relationship with us while the earth was still without form, and void.  He’s already friended us, all we must do is accept it.  Then, everything changes.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake