The Ultimate Paragon

“What people want is very simple. They want an America as good as its promise.” Barbara Jordan

I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you. Genesis 28:15

Paragon: “a person or thing regarded as a perfect example of a particular quality” New Oxford American Dictionary

In its right talon it holds an olive branch, in its left are 13 arrows. Its breast is guarded by a shield of red white and blue, and in its beak is a banner carrying the latin phrase, E pluribus unum (out of many, one). It is the symbol of the United States of America, a Bald Eagle, a symbol of freedom and hope to millions throughout the world. Its olive branch represents an offering of peace to any who will accept, but its arrows symbolize its readiness to use force against any who threaten what it represents. And it is protected by by a shield, proudly displaying the colors of the country of its origin. The founders of this country fought and argued over what its national symbol should be. Much thought went into its design and symbolism and I think it beautifully states what the United States should endeavor to emulate. I have a question though. What would our seal look like, if a peer were to draw up a symbol that embodied what our lives represent? Would it carry the virtues we desire others to see? Would it represent anything at all? All of our lives are meant to represent something whether we want them to or not. Let's make sure what other people see in us represents something greater than what we alone can accomplish. We have a Heavenly Father that is always as good as His promise. While as humans, we will never be paragons of what we represent, I believe we should try our best to live up to our promise.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone today?

What act of kindness did I perform today?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake