The Head and the Heart

Can you catch the wind?  See a breeze?  It’s presence is revealed by the leaves on a tree.  An image of my faith in the unseen.  In my mind’s eye, I see your face, you smile as you show me grace.  In my mind’s eye, you take my hand, we walk through foreign lands.  The foreign lands of life.  Toby McKeehan, Michael Tait, Mark Heimermann (From the song Mind’s Eye, by DC Talk)

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”  Matthew 4:4 (New International Version)

Rationale:  “a set of reasons or a logical basis for a course of action or a particular belief”  New Oxford American Dictionary

“You know my head here, would say to you Jonathan...  Dump her.  And then my heart would say, there was something kinda magical at moments together as well.”  It makes no difference who said that.  Enough people have said it that I think the credit for messages like that could go to just about anybody.  Unfortunately, it’s an attitude that is far too prevalent.  It’s an attitude that is far too accepted.  Too quickly we separate the head and the heart.  We assume too quickly that the heart is not logical and the head is emotionless.  Of course the head and the heart are terms we use to describe logic and emotion.  But what about the logic in emotion?  What about the emotion in logic?  Often believers are ridiculed for their belief by those who would say that God is just our imagination trying to compensate for our lack of personal fortitude, or our innate desire to follow a leader that is greater than anything.  Sigmund Freud, an atheist, suggested that God was humans attempt to replace their father after he proved inadequate to protect them from the world.  To Freud I guess, God is created by an emotional reaction in humans who feel vulnerable.  But sometimes the key to logic is found through emotion.  Love is an emotion, that can’t be explained.  I know my mother loves me, I can’t prove it through logic alone, but I can prove it through emotion.  Just as dried leaves scuffling their way down a lonely street indicate the presence of a breeze.  Emotion indicates the presence of love.  Like Jesus indicated to the devil in Matthew 4:4, “Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from that mouth of God.”  I think a lot of times we assume logic is bound to earth, that it is always visible and provable.  But logic also belongs to the unseen.  We live in a world that doubts everything we cannot see.  We build more and more powerful microscopes, telescopes, and atomic colliders; trying to find what gives the universe power.  We live in a world where we can change a person’s heart, liver, or kidneys.  We live in a world where we can explain the orbits of planets millions of miles away from ours.  We can predict the northern lights based on our observations of solar storms.  We’ve even landed on the moon.  But we cannot explain the source of gravity.  But no one doubts gravity.  Why? because we feel it’s effects in every moment of our lives.  The moment gravity changes, we know.  In the same way God’s love affects our being every moment of our lives.  Whether we can see it, explain it, or believe it, just like gravity we can feel it. 

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you for reading.  You mean a lot to me.

Jake