Be Genuine

“The more one does and sees and feels, the more one is able to do; and the more genuine may be one's appreciation of fundamental things like home and love and understanding companionship.” Amelia Earhart

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:9-10

Authentic: “relating to or denoting an emotionally appropriate, significant, purposive, and responsible mode of human life” New Oxford American Dictionary

Handing out his gifts, the young actor realized he didn't even know what the Christmas presents contained. His manager had picked them all. Non-the-less, those kids in the Chinese children's hospital loved their gifts and thanked him over and over. At that point he says, “I felt like such a fraud.” You see, the gifts were mostly a part of a public relations event. The kids didn't know and the audiences watching didn't know either, but Jackie Chan knew, and he vowed he would never do it again. Today, after 48 years in the movie business he is still focused on charity, but now it's genuine and authentic. He picks the gifts (as many as he can) himself. He says, “I realized that when I see somebody smiling, I'm happy, so one by one, year by year, I do more charities and it makes me happier.” Being genuine is a key to being happy. No matter how many cars we have, what kind of house we live in, or even what we do to help others; if they're meant to impress others they will never make us happy, they will never be fulfilling. People will see through our insincerity and even our good works will fall flat, their effectiveness reduced, and their satisfaction all but eliminated. Nobody likes a phony. That includes ourselves. Perhaps we hate the phoniness inside us more than in any other. That's why it is so important to be genuine. To do the right thing for the right reason. Doing what's right is not just about us. It's about the recipients of our action as well. A good deed done out of necessity has little if any positive impact on our souls. However, a good deed done from the heart, without compulsion, warms the soul more than any cup of marshmallow laden hot chocolate could ever warm. A good deed done simply and genuinely for the sake of another, in turn, does more for us than anything we could ever hope to achieve for ourselves. So in everything we do, in everything we give, and in everything we wish to accomplish, let's Be Genuine.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake