And the Winner Is...

“To see the fight and resolve in these young people is really something special.  After these visits we don’t feel like we’ve helped anyone as much as we feel they have helped us see life a little more clearly.”  Tony Dungy

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Romans 15:13

Propinquity:  “nearness in place or time: proximity”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

In 1995 Paul and Angela Brunette started a project called Basket of Hope after their six year old daughter Christina was diagnosed with cancer.  Fortunately Christina survived her illness, but along the way had to endure hardships and pain many of us will never know.  Unfortunately, there are thousands of children who are going through the hardships of cancer and serious illnesses every day.  As healthy people, God has given us the ability to help those in need.  Basket of Hope is an organization that does just that.  The mission of Basket of Hope is, in their words, “To give hope that comes from Jesus to newly diagnosed children and their families affected by cancer or other serious illnesses, primarily by delivery of a Basket of Hope filled with inspirational materials to nourish them mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.”  You may have never heard of the organization before, but they’ve been uplifting families for over a decade now with the help of supporters like Super Bowl winning coach, Tony Dungy, their spokesman.  Because of people like Coach Dungy and his propinquity to the Super Bowl, Basket of Hope was able to spawn a project called Super Baskets of Hope, a project that used the high profile of Super Bowl XLVI to gain publicity and support.  Because of the Super Bowl, Super Baskets of Hope was able to deliver 7000 Baskets of Hope to sick children in 32 NFL city children’s hospitals.  By now I’m sure you know that the New York Giants defeated the New England Patriots 21 to 17, but I think you would agree with me, the real winners of Super Bowl XLVI may not have ever stepped onto a football field.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone today?

What act of kindness did I perform today?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake