Part 28

Over the many years Kendra had collected interesting things himself. He had built extra rooms onto the house to store his, and now the children’s, things. Now he had decided to build a shed, a small building away from the house.

He had to build in stone because trees were scarce in the Bosom and not usually good enough to build houses from. Having to acquire wood from the earth, tree by tree when he visited, was a laborious task. There was a knack to taking things from one realm to the other. Anything too big and he couldn’t do it, like the time he tried to bring a full cart back with him. After having grabbed hold of it he concentrated and appeared in the Bosom holding a few planks of wood. He had seen his father take greater things into the Bosom, maybe he needed practice. For now he would build the dry stone walls and use some of the timber he had stored already to make some of the roof joists.

Chelnuk wanted to help him, so together they sorted through stones that were near the house. When they needed bigger ones Kendra would look further afield in the uninhabited areas of the land. It took about three weeks to build the walls. Chelnuk’s hands had become blistered and now slightly calloused.

Salinas would bring them unleavened bread and apples for their lunch occasionally with other fruit if Chelnuk had been into the city to barter. They had bonded in a deeper way and Kendra was glad to be away from the king’s court.