Part 13

And so with such words did Shem appeal to Nimr’s vanity so that he decided to travel to Aram to preach to Shem and his people. Behind him, like a peacock, the entourage of Nimr flowed behind him. It mainly consisted of his bodyguard.

It took him two weeks before he came to the land of Aram. He was greeted by Shem’s grandson, Eber, on the way.

“My Lord Nimr, the people of the land of Aram greet you.”

Nimr came to the house of Shem. It was a large house and a few hundred years old, big enough for all the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren Shem had. The self-proclaimed king of Babel was shown into the large dining area. Shem sat at a large table, flanked on either side by those sons and a grandsons, the natural leaders of their tribes, who could make it back to the house of their father.

As Nimr entered surrounded by his men, Shem opened his arms and said, “Welcome Nimr, please sit before us.”

Sitting upon cushions near the middle of the room Nimr spoke, “Thank you for this opportunity to speak to the son of Noah.”

“Is there anything you wish before we start?”

“We were refreshed at the house of Barcom on the way into the city. Thank you.”

Shem looked up from his notes, “Now please tell us the spiritual truths that have been revealed to you.”

Nimr began, “I found solace in drink and the wild herbs of my homeland after the death of my son. My father helped me to understand the spiritual consequences and encouraged me to speak to him in the realm of the spirits. I stared into the holy fire and the serpent let me through to speak to him. My son was not happy in the afterlife and asked me to appease him with greater deeds so that he could be taken higher into the heavens.”

“And how did you come to these revelations?”

“It was my father, Cush, who had delved deeply into the true wisdom of the angels and had tried to ascend to heaven through their wisdom.”

“Yes, I know, it was your father Cush who had built the Tower of Babel, the very place you now have your kingdom. He tried to build steps to heaven, thinking that God can be reached by the efforts of man. God judged the people that day and confused their tongues. You have gone further than your father and sinned in greater ways, therefore you shall be judged in a greater way.”

Shem turned to his sons and those of Japheth. “Are we all agreed that Nimr is to be judged unto death?”

Each of them, now representative of their own tribe, thought solemnly and then nodded his head.