chapter 78: the echo of his scream

Kate begins to walk towards my brother. If she's unaware of my presence or if she's pretending to be, I'm not sure. "Oh, turn that frown upside down Stiles. It's going to be a fun night."

"Maybe for you." my brother responds, "I'm thinking for me, maybe not so much."

Kate laughs. "Oh, I don't know. Getting your throat slashed doesn't sound fun to you?" she asks, as she crouches down in front of him.

"You really think you can beat Scott? You think you're going to win at this little game of yours? You won't." Stiles tells her.

Kate draws her claws, bringing her hand up to slash my brother's throat. Stiles closes his eyes, preparing himself.

"No, wait!" I yell, coming out from behind the pillar. "Don't do this, please."

Kate stands up and turns to face me. "I knew that'd get you to come out from your little hiding place." she says, walking towards me.

"Just let him go. I did what you asked."

She shakes her head. "No. I don't think so. I'm not done, not yet."

"Well we're done, Kate." I tell her as she stands in front of me. "We've had enough of this." I say, swinging the metal pipe into the side of her head and throwing her off balance. I completely caught her off guard. Maybe she thought I was the same girl that was kidnapped by Aria, but I'm not.

"Veronica, run!" Stiles yells, but I'm not going anywhere. Not without my brother.

I tackle Kate onto the floor, using my knees to pin her arms at her side. I reach back into my pocket, taking out the syringe. Her eyes widen, knowing exactly what it contains.

I'm about to bring it down into her neck, when her arms break free and she puts them up to block me from doing so. She punches me once, twice...and I fall backwards. The syringe rolling away from me.

I stand up and she stands up too. She's charging towards me, so I bring my hands up. I concentrate on making her feel pain, making it unbearable. She takes a couple of steps towards me before falling to the ground on her hands and knees, gasping for air.

I make her feel more pain, so much she screams out. I've transferred pain before, but I've never done anything like this and I can feel it making me weak. I won't stop though, I need to continue, I need to make her feel so much pain she becomes unconscious so I can get the key off of her and get Stiles the hell out of here.

That's when I hear gunshots, and roars. Chris. Derek. They're here now.

Kate screams out in pain again, in between her gasps for air. My ears begin to ring, and I can feel blood dripping down my chin as my nose has begun to bleed.

I'm making Kate weak, making her feel so much pain it's about to render her unconscious but it's doing the same to me.

I take in a deep breath of air when my vision begins to blur. I can feel my legs giving out underneath me, but I do my best to stay on my feet.

Stiles notices. "Veronica, go now!" he says, but his voice seems so far away.

I can't continue. If I do, I'll black out soon enough and won't be able to help my brother. I bring my hands down, falling to the ground. Just as Kate does, I gasp for air. I blink rapidly trying to get my eyes to focus, but everything still seems blurry.

"Veronica, the syringe!" Stiles yes.

I get on my feet, and weakly stumble over to it. Everything is still coming into focus, but I can see where it lies on the ground. I fall to my knees and I reach over to it, my fingers curling around it.