chapter 85: graduation

[ P L A Y S O N G ]

liam dunbar

beacon hills cemetery

I place Veronica's favorite flowers at her grave, and sit beside it. The sky is blue with white clouds overhead. There are some birds chirping up in the trees.

I wipe my hands on my jeans and take a deep breath.

"I keep thinking this is just some nightmare that I can't wake up from." I say. "But it's not. And God, I wish it was. I wish it wasn't real. It's been about a month, and everyday it gets harder to live without you. I keep, thinking that I'm going to see you when I walk into school. Or when there's a knock on my door, there's a part of me that hopes it's you. And I always will." I say, wiping the tears from my face. "Come back to me." I whisper, even though I know that it's impossible.

I sit in silence for a while. Just thinking. Thinking about how I wish I could see her one last time.

But, what would I do if I could?

I'd hold her close. I'd memorize everything about her. But the truth is I already have. Even though she's not here, I have her touch memorized. The way her lips felt against mine, her laugh, the way she would tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear when she would read.

I have her scent memorized too, but I'm scared I'll somehow lose it.

"I miss you." I say, plucking grass and ripping the pieces in my hand. I miss everything about her. The way her perfume lingered on me after I held her in my arms, her gentle touch. I miss her voice, I miss listening to her heartbeat.

A little piece of me died with her. She was the best that ever happened to me. She brought out the best in me, and I'll always be in debt to her for that. I'll never find anyone like her.

I sigh and stand up. "Graduation starts in a couple of hours, so I should get going. Mason said he's going to stop by later on." I cross my arms, feeling cold even though the sun is out. "We never really decided on what you wanted to get them for graduation, but don't worry. I got them something. From the both of us."

I nod, and begin to walk towards my car but turn around. "I love you. I'll always love you."

---------------

beacon hills high school

I sit next to Mason and Corey at the graduation. Melissa and the Sheriff sit next to us, and the rest of the parents from the members of the pack that are graduating are sitting down next to them. Sheriff places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes it, when I sit next to him.

We stand and clap as the names are called.

Scott McCall.

Malia Tate.

Lydia Martin.

Kira Yukimura.

Mieczyslaw Stilinski.

The principal pronounces Stiles' name with difficulty. "Just call me Stiles." I hear him say as he takes the diploma.

After they walk the stage, and after the ceremony we meet up with them. Congratulatory hugs and kisses going around. I can't help but think how happy Veronica would've been to be here, and it just doesn't feel complete without her.

Mason puts his arm around my shoulder and I do the same to him, smiling at him.

It's going to be weird not having them all around, especially because I need them so much right now. But I'm excited for them.

Scott looks over at me with a smile and I smile back, thinking about everything we've been through. He's counting on me to carry on what he started here, and if I can be half the Alpha he has always been, that'll be one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.

He walks over to me, and we embrace in a hug. "You can do this." he says.

I nod and smile at him, knowing that if I have his guidance I can. Stiles walks over to us and the three of us walk out with everyone else towards the parking lot, our arms wrapped around each other.

------------------

stiles stilinski

weeks later; stilinski household

Scott and Melissa are all settled in now. It really helps to have them here.

I've finally been able to get some more sleep, but the nightmares have gotten worse.

It's like I'm trapped in them, images from that night flooding my mind. And sometimes, I dream that I'm about to save Veronica but I don't get to her in time. I have to scream myself awake.

Sometimes my dad rushes in to comfort me.

Sometimes it's Melissa.

And after they go back to their room, Scott stays with me

And after they go back to their room, Scott stays with me. The same way Veronica would stay with me when we were younger and I had nightmares.

In a few months Scott and I will be heading off to college. I'm glad that my dad and Melissa have each other, because I don't know if I could leave him alone after losing Veronica.

This isn't the way I planned these last few months in Beacon Hills.

Then you just go with it. You just keep moving forward until you get to where you've always wanted to be. I remember Veronica saying to me that night in the Jeep.

And I will. I'll keep moving forward for her.