chapter 86: brother let me be your shelter

[ P L A Y S O N G ] 

1 YEAR LATER

stiles stilinski

stilinski household

Scott and I are officially done with our first year of college and we're back in Beacon Hills to spend the summer with our family.

Scott is out with Kira, and I'm meeting up with Malia later. My dad and Melissa are at work, so I'm home alone.

My dad hasn't been able to go through Veronica's things, and a year ago neither could I. Her room has been left untouched...until now.

I stand in the middle of it, looking around. The walls are lined with pictures of us all. I take a deep breath and let out a sigh. This is going to be harder than I thought.

I go around collecting pictures that are hung around her room, placing them in a box so I can give them to the rest of the pack later. I know they'd love to have them.

I find the picture dad took of us before we went to the dance. I also find the pictures she took when we went on our trip last year before everything changed.

I look in her closet, finding some of Liam's shirts and one of my sweaters. It's been a year but I swear they still smell like her.

I take a seat at her desk, and my eyes land on the seashell Josh gave her. It gives me comfort to know that Veronica is reunited with some of the people she's loved the most. Mom. Allison. Josh. And one day I'll be reunited with her too. We all will be.

I open her laptop, but the screen is completely black. I connect it to the charger and wait for it to start up. When it comes back on, the screen is on a video editing program. I see the thumbnails for the videos, and click on the one were Lydia and Allison are both holding up dresses.

The video begins to play. Veronica records as Allison and Lydia go through a rack of dresses. They're out shopping together.

"What do you think about this one?" Allison asks.

"I think it'd look great on you." my sister answers, and hearing her voice once more after so long makes me burst into tears.

"Lydia?" Allison asks.

"Hmm. Pass." she says, and I can hear Allison and Veronica laugh. "Here why don't you give me the camera, and go find something for yourself." she says, taking the camera from Veronica and focusing on her.

My sister looks so young. She was still in middle school. "Okay." she replies, interlocking arms with Allison and the two girls walk away towards another section with dresses.

God, I miss them so much.

The screen goes black as the video cuts off.

The next video automatically begins to play. It's the video my dad took on the last birthday I spent with Veronica. Tears silently roll down my face as I watch her spray with me with silly string. Scott, Melissa and my dad later joining in.

The screen goes black again once the video ends, and the next one automatically begins to play.

Veronica records as Liam and Mason make their way up a trail. Then they are up at the top, looking over the town as the sun sets. Mason and Liam wave to the camera right before the video ends.

I let the videos continue to play, as I can't bring myself to stop watching them. I can hear her voice again, see her again. See her smile and hear her laugh.

The next video that plays is from our trip before senior year ended. She's put clips together from all the videos she took from our time there.

"Stiles, wait for me!" she says as she catches up to us.