chapter 39: painful lessons

saturday; one week later

Exactly a week ago, Donavan disappeared. There's no sign of him, just like there is no sign of Kate or the Berserkers. It's like they were never in Beacon Hills.

Today, I'm going to work with Deaton on absorbing pain. Stiles dropped me off and Scott will be taking me home after work. He got a new bike with the money he had saved up.

Deaton takes me to the back where all the dogs and cats are.

"What do you feel, Veronica?" he asks me.

"Their pain." I answer, placing my hand over one of the cages.

"Pick one." Deaton tells me.

I look around and my eyes land on a cute dog in the very back. I bring her out to the examining room and lay her down on a table. Deaton explains to me how sick she is and how she's in pain.

"How do you get rid of the pain?" Deaton asks me.

"It's hard to explain. I don't know, I sort of just push it away. Controlling my breathing helps."

"All right, just how you push it away, as if you were exhaling it out, this time you're bringing it in, as if you were breathing it..or so to speak."

I nod and place my hand over the dog and try to take it's pain...but nothing happens. For the next hour or so, I try and try but accomplish nothing.

"I think you've become so good at blocking the pain it's become difficult for you to absorb it." Deaton jokes.

Scott's here now, ready for work. He gives me advice as well.

"Open yourself up to the pain, don't be afraid of it."

Another hours goes by and nothing happens.

People start bringing in their sick pets and when they do Deaton reassures me we're just taking a break.

Scott works so well with Deaton and he cares so much about the animals. I can imagine he'll chose a career path related to this. We haven't talked about it yet though.

"Ok, ready to try again?" Deaton asks.

I get up from my seat in the waiting room and walk back into the examining room where my four legged friend waits for me.

I place my hand on her, take a deep breathe and let down the mental wall I've placed around myself to block the pain. When I do, I feel a sharp pain go up the side of my arm. I look down and see as a series of black lines move from my hand up to my arm, just like when Scott and Liam take my pain.

I pull my hand away after I feel like my furry friend has some relief.

"You did it!" Scott says.

I turn to look at Deaton with a smile on my face. He's smiling too.

Scott brings out another dog and I try to take his pain.