chapter 88: the necklace

10 YEARS LATER

stiles stilinski

I'm sitting in my police car, looking down at my phone as I swipe through pictures. It was Veronica's birthday yesterday, and I can't stop thinking about her. I miss her so much.

I think about everything that's happened, all the things she's missed out on so that I could be a part of them.

I think about how much she would've loved being a part of all the weddings, and helping organize them. I try to think of the songs she might have sung at each of our weddings, and how amazing the pictures and videos would be for each one. Scott and Kira's. Corey and Mason's. Parrish and Lydia's. Turns out they had more than just a supernatural connection. Even our little Liam got married. He met someone senior year, her name's Hayden. It took him a really long time to open up to her, and I know that it's because of my sister. They didn't start dating until a couple of years after they graduated but I'm glad he found someone, he deserves to be happy. To be in love.

I look down at my wedding ring. Malia and I have been married for a few years now, and we have two sweet, but aggressive, little girls. Kylie Stilinski and Veronica Claudia Stilinski. We named them after the sisters we lost, and my mom.

There's a call over the radio about a house fire. I'm only a couple of blocks away, and I make my way over there quickly.

When I get there I find another deputy holding back a kid. He looks like he's about twelve years old.

The kid continues to struggle against the deputy and I walk over to them.

"What's going on?" I ask him.

"My sister! She's inside!" he says, desperately trying to get out of the deputy's grip. It reminds me of that night, the night my sister died and I couldn't do anything about it. I could only watch.

I look over to the house that's completely engulfed in flames. "How far out are the firefighters?"

"Last I heard, they were about 10 minutes out. There was a car pile up and they're making their way back."

They won't make it in time. She'll die. "Hey, what's your sisters name?" I ask the boy. "How old is she?"

"She's eight years old. Her name's Sarah." he says, now crying.

"All right, I'm going to need you to stay with this officer. I'm going to go get your sister." I tell him and he nods. "I'll be right back."

"Stilinski, are you crazy?!" Deputy Jones asks me. "You'll die!"

I shake my head. "Stay with him. And make sure no one else goes inside!"

I rush into the house, calling out for Sarah. I hear her yell and make my way towards her. I can barely see and all the smoke makes me cough uncontrollably. The flames are consuming everything around me, threatening to make us their next victims.

I finally reach the little girl. She's been hiding under the kitchen table and she's unconscious now due to all the smoke she's inhaled. I carry her in my arms, making my way out when part of the roof collapses and falls on me. I cover Sarah as best as I can and wiggle myself out from underneath the rubble.

I try to get up, but my eyelids feel heavy. I'm losing consciousness too. I'm trying my best to fight it, but I can't.

I couldn't save my sister. I couldn't save Sarah.

I'm giving into the darkness, when I hear my name being called out.

"Stiles, Stiles!"

My eyes flutter open as I instantly recognize the voice. "Veronica?" I ask. "Is that really you?"

"Hey, yeah it's me." she says with a smile, helping me sit up.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her weakly, not being able to believe my eyes. My sister, she's right in front of me. I can see her. I can hear her.

"Mom sent me." she says, placing her hand on my cheek. "Stiles, you need to get up. Okay? You need to get up and get Sarah out of here."

"Okay, but you have to come with us." I tell her, grabbing her arms.

"I can't. I'm so sorry. I wish I could."

"Then I'm going with you." I tell her.

She shakes her head. "You can't. It's not your time yet. You need to go back home. To Malia and your daughters. You need to get Sarah out of here."

We both turn to look at the little girl that lays unconscious on the floor. "I miss you." I say, turning back to her.

"I miss you too. But we'll be together again one day." she says with a smile and kisses my forehead.

Another part of the roof collapses, close to where Sarah lays. Veronica turns to me, eyes wide. "Stiles you need to get up, now! You're running out of time."

"Okay." I say, nodding.

"Take her. Run and don't look back. Promise?"

"I promise." I say, and bring her into a hug. "I love you."

I don't want to let go, I don't want to let go.

But I know that I have to.

"I love you, too." she says.

I pull away, and as I do Veronica begins to fade.

That's when my eyes fling open. I cough into the crook of my arm as I get up, and pick up little Sarah in my arms again. I do what Veronica said, I run out and I don't look back. A part of me wants to. I want to look back and she if she's still there, but I know that she's not.

I don't know how I gathered the strength to do it, but I did it. I run out of the house right before the entire roof collapses.

Deputy Jones and another deputy that arrived on scene rush over to me and help me get back on my feet.

The firefighters and paramedics arrive, taking Sarah and treating her. She's awake now. She's okay.

I watch as the boy wraps his arms around Sarah and she clings to him tightly. I smile as I watch them sit together in the back of the ambulance before riding to the hospital.

"Hell of a save there, Stilinski." Deputy Jones says as she approaches me. "Maybe you should've been a firefighter."

I laugh. "Maybe."

She hands me a water bottle and walks off. I reach into my pocket, searching for the necklace. My fingers find it and I bring it out.

My eyes fill up with tears as I remember how she would always tug on it when she was nervous. Veronica loved this necklace. It was mom's and then it was hers. And now it's mine. I keep it on me at all times.

Thanks for always looking out for me, Veronica.