chapter 9: you don't have to worry

stilinski household

I wake up tired and emotionally drained. The swelling in my ankle has gone down and I can apply more pressure on it than yesterday, but it still hurts.

I change and make my way downstairs, where Stiles and my dad are sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast.

They both look up at me at the same time.

"Hey, you're dressed for school." My dad says. "You don't want to take the day? Rest that ankle?"

"No, I'm all right. Thanks."

"You sure?" Stiles asks.

"Yeah." I say and I force a smile. Truth is, I'm really tired, but if I stay home I'll go crazy with my own thoughts.

Dad calls the school to let them know I'm hurt and might need some extra time getting from class to class and then Stiles and I are on our way to school.

in the jeep

"You know Stiles, I think it's better this way. Now, we don't have to keep things from each other."

"Yeah, you know what? I think you're right."

beacon hills high

Stiles helps me get from class to class. Maybe I should've stayed home. My ankle is really hurting right now.

Stiles needs to make up an exam during lunch so I'm on my own.

I'm making my way towards the cafeteria but decide to give my ankle a break. I sit down on the stairs, lean my head against the wall and close my eyes.

"Veronica?"

My eyes fling open.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Scott says.

I laugh. "No, that's ok."

I try to stand up but wince in pain.

"Your ankle still hurts?"

"Yeah." I nod.

Scott sits next to me.

"Here, give me your hand."

"Ok."

He gently takes my hand in his and it's as if the pain is slowly leaving my body. I look down at Scott's hand and see a series of black lines moving up from his hand into his arm.

He lets go.

"Try it now." he says.

I stand up...and I feel no pain. I sit down next to him.

"How did you do that?" I ask in disbelief.

"I can take pain."

"Thank you, Scott."

He smiles at me. "Look, Veronica. I know you're confused and maybe even scared but I promise everything is going to be ok. I'll protect you from whatever is out there. Trust me."

I rest my head on his shoulder. "Thanks. And yes, I trust you. I'll always trust you."

He pats my knee. "You're like a sister to me."

"And you're like a brother to me."

He stands and helps me up. We make our way towards the cafeteria.

in english class

I don't ask Scott about Liam, but during lunch Scott tells me what happened anyway.

They were at Lydia's lake house because they had a plan. Kira was to lure Liam there and they were all going to help control Liam during the full moon. Only, they weren't able to and he escaped. They were out looking for him when Derek called and they rushed back to my house. Derek and Scott found him later and were able to help him shift back and then they took him home. Scott said something about teaching him how to control the shift. I think he is going to teach him all the werewolf-y things.