chapter 37: this is why

a week later

Stiles is up and walking around again. He's come back to school. Thankfully his injuries weren't as bad as they first seemed and he healed quickly.

Scott hasn't talked to Theo yet. Stiles insisted he wait until he recovered so he could be there too.

I've seen him a couple of times around school since the attack. We've waved to each other, but nothing more than that.

I got a new cellphone a few days ago. (thanks Dad!) Liam has called me a couple of times since I got my new phone. I don't know what's going on with Liam. He seems...distant. But to be fair, there is a lot going on. Between school, trying to find Kate, and somehow staying alive in Beacon Hills, we are all pretty busy.

There is now sign of Kate. Chris is going crazy looking for her. The fact that there's no sign of her makes us question her involvement, but the Berserkers lead us right back to her.

In Biology class, Josh and I work on our assignment. He tells me about his weekend. He hung out with Corey and Tracy. They wanted to invite us but with everything that happened they decided it would be best not to.

When the bell rings, Liam walks over to where Josh and I sit.

"Hey." he says.

Josh greets him back.

"You ready for lunch?" I ask Liam.

"Actually, I have a make-up exam I need to take, so I'll see you after school."

"Oh, ok. Good luck!" I tell him.

He thanks me and gives me a kiss on the cheek before heading out the door with Tracy.

I look around for Mason. He's walking out of the classroom with Corey. I think about calling after him but decide not to.

Instead, I walk to the cafeteria with Josh. As we head down a hallway I see Theo go into the boys locker room. Not far behind are Stiles and Scott.

The hallway has cleared out by now so if I were to stay and listen...no one would notice.

"Hey Josh, I just remembered I have something to do. I'll catch up with you later."

"All right." he says as he heads over to the cafeteria.

I rush over to the locker room. The door is slightly open, allowing me to listen in on their conversation.

"Why didn't you tell us you're a werewolf?" Scott asks.

"And more specifically, why did you hide your scent from us?" Stiles asks.

"I was nervous, scared. Scott, you're a True Alpha...I just didn't know how to tell you...or even ask..." Theo responds.

"Ask what?"

"To be a part of your pack. Everybody knows that, lone wolves, they don't make it on their own. You're part of the reason I moved back to Beacon Hills. I need a pack."

"That's it? That's the only reason?" Stiles asks.

"Yeah." Theo answers.

Stiles is silent. He doesn't believe him, I can tell.

Theo goes into an explanation of how he became a werewolf and apologizes to Scott for not telling him sooner.

Scott accepts the apology and thanks him for helping us.

I can tell the conversation is coming to and end so I quickly make my way to the cafeteria before I'm seen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------