chapter 62: the beast of beacon hills

mccall household

Scott's arm is draped around my brothers shoulders, and I hold on to Scott's other arm as we help him up the stairs to his room. He's still healing from his injuries, even though I've taken his pain.

We spent hours in the woods trying to track Corey and Mason, but we came up empty.

When we reach Scott's room, Stiles opens the door. I let the two boys walk in and stand by the doorway. Stiles helps Scott onto his bed and then sits next to him.

I'm about to walk out when Scott calls out to me.

"Veronica." he says, and I turn to face him. "We're gonna find him."

"Yeah." I say with a nod and a small smile, and head down stairs.

Malia, Kira, and Braeden have taken off for the night. Lydia is trying to figure out a way to stop Parrish from leaving Beacon Hills. Lydia learned a lot about Marie-Jeanne, and Parrish learned a lot about himself too. But he thinks he is the reason behind all of these deaths, and now Lydia has to find a way to keep him in Beacon Hills because he is not only vital in the fight against the Beast, he's become vital to saving Mason.

When I get to the living room, I find Liam sitting on the couch with his head in his hands. He stands up when he sees me. "He okay?"

"Yeah. Just needs some rest. You do too." I tell him as I walk towards him. He shakes his head, and I know it's because he wants to spend all night searching for Mason, but the sun is going to come up in a few hours and we need as much rest as we can get. I have a feeling the next 24 hours are going to be grueling. "I'll call you if I hear anything. I promise."

He nods.

We hug each other tightly, not wanting to let go. The both of us finding comfort in each others arms. When we hear Stiles coming down the stairs, we pull apart.

"Ready?" Stiles asks, holding up the keys to his Jeep.

"Yeah, lets go home." I respond.

---------------

stilinski household

"We're doing everything we can down here, Veronica."

"I know dad, just please-"

"I'll let you know if anything changes, kiddo. I promise."

I sigh. "All right. Thanks."

"Get some rest. I'll check in with you later."

"Ok, love you."

"Love you too."

I hang up and take a seat on the couch. I cover my face with my hands as I try and stop myself from crying. I'm dreading the worst has already happened.

I told him we'd keep him safe, I failed him.

Stiles comes down stairs and sits next to me. "What did dad say?"

"Same thing he said when I called an hour ago."

He puts a hand on my shoulder and turns me towards him, wiping away my tears. "We're gonna find him. We're gonna save him."

"I feel so useless." I say, frustrated.

"Yeah, I know the feeling." my brother admits. "But you're not. You don't have claws or fangs, and neither do I. But Mason needs more than that to save him. He needs you, and he needs everything you can do, whatever that might be. All of the pieces need to come together, and you're one of them. So don't count yourself out, okay?"